Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Thankful I Grew Up in the Good Old Days! Part 1



While driving to work today I heard an American Family Insurance commercial. Is this unusual? No. But, a new program they offer made me laugh out loud. Not because it is funny, but because if my parents had enrolled in this program I don't think I would have ever gotten a license - let alone a car! I'm not sure any of us would have.




Basically your parents can install a video camera in their teen's car that tapes them while driving. Then the kids get to watch the video together with their parents. It made me think - what would have my parents seen on that video. Here are some highlights:

*a trip to South Amana pond in a Ford Windstar at way past maximum capacity

*a drive through a triangular median on a gravel road on the way to Mid-Prairie. My dad didn't find out about that one til about 3 years later. No video on that one!!

*Lets just say my Escort (RIP, baby) had back seats that layed down flat so that the hatchback was completely open. Enough said!

*MANY trips to 80s night at the Union (oh, the memories) with Pancheros on the way home.

*Waking up to find a questionable substance dried along the outside of the vehicle - possibly from Pancheros!

Take a couple minutes and reminisce about your first vehicle - good memories! To those teenagers whose parents do this all I can say is, glad its not me!! Watch for the next installment of the Good Old Days.

1 comment:

  1. Very funny Darcy!! Apparently our kids will have to find more "creative" ways to do the things we did!! :)

    ReplyDelete