Sunday, November 15, 2009

Passing It On


















I forget how much I miss living on the farm. I think harvest is one of the reasons I really love fall. I remember jumping in one of the tractors, trucks, or combine with anyone who would give me a ride. I also remember still being in high school and coming home from practice and seeing my Grandpa outside unloading corn. I would grab a couple pops and head down and sit with him. He would always share some of the goodies left over from Grandma in his lunch and we would talk about the day.
















Even though my kids don't get to experience that daily like I did we still want them to remember where I came from and what my family does. We took them out to a field where my Dad, brother, uncles, and cousins were working today.
















Everybody got a ride in the combine. Looks like a full house, huh? Combines are so much bigger inside than they used to be. For those of you who grew up on a farm there is no more need for squishing yourself on the floor against the door or window! They have an extra seat for the rider. Kids now-a-days just don't know what they are missing.


















I love the sounds and the smells of being out in the field. Nothing like it!
















This beauty is about as old as I am. I can't tell you how many miles I have riden in it taking loads of corn to the Co-op or hogs to the hog buying station. It was even stolen from my parent's farm once and we still got her back!
Today made me think about other traditions we are chosing to hand down to our kids. The biggest one...


















the Hawks, of course!! Tough loss yesterday, but they couldn't have made a better showing.
Here's to the next generation of Hawk fans!

No comments:

Post a Comment